Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Culinary Notes from the Old Northeast

Buried in a Kansas City Star article about a park inspector whose job is to track down illegal dumpers is this story within a story:
“I’ve seen a lot of crazy things,” Jones says:

■ A recreational vehicle crammed full of limbs and brush was abandoned in Spring Valley Park, 27th Street and Woodland Avenue.

■ Someone was so bent on attacking a tree in Indiana Park, 25th Street and Indiana Avenue, that a barricade had to be erected to protect it.

Cat and dog carcasses are frequently found dumped in the old Northeast, and, mysteriously, many times they appear to have been stripped of their meat.
WHAT?!?!?!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've gotta say I've got my doubts. It's not really clear from the story whether Jones is being quoted as saying that, and even if so, whether she has seen it, or whether it's a story floating around the Parks department too. Snopes considers it an urban legend.
I've emailed the reporter and the Parks department to find out if Jones said it, and if she's seen it, or whether it's a continuation of the legend. I'll let you know!

7/29/2005 12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are several Vietnamese and other SE Asian restaurants on Independence Avenue in northeast KC. I don't know the Asian population density in that area, though.

Given the location, and the fact that those animals are eaten in some Asian countries, I wouldn't be surprised if this is true.

8/12/2005 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home